Linux and Giray History ...
It all started at Marmara University, Istanbul. We were setting up the internet
connection for the University, and had a very limited budget. As servers we bought
two Sun Sparc 10 workstations, and didn't really have money to buy a hardware router.
Having heard about something called Linux in 93/94 I set out to the Middle Eastern
Technical University in Ankara, armed with a 80 Meg IDE harddisk. I got Slackware
and I believe 3 floppy disks from Yener Yigit, and came back home.
The first server I installed was a 486 with 16 RAM, called turkuaz.cc.marun.edu.tr.
Having installed other unices before, the installation was realtiveley painless.
It turned out that I had to recompile the kernel to start up IP forwarding (routing)
which was extremely slow ... but then it was up and running.
In time we had several Linux machines doing print sharing, dial-in etc.
Then the first internet conferece (Inet-TR 95) in turkey was announced, and
the idea came to give a seminar on Linux. A mailing list was set up at
albatros.cc.akdeniz.edu.tr by Yavuz Selim Komur.
The idea was to give a seminar on Linux and set up a Lab. Peole eventually involved where
- Kemal Guven
- Mehmet Can Yildiz
- Giray Devlet
- Onur Volkan Hatem
- Cagri Coltekin
- F. Kagan Guerkaynak
- Yavuz Selim Komur
The seminar was given Kagan and myself. We had prepared for only one session, but after much
demand we ended up giving two. Maillogs and the Website of that event are at
Here were also the first corner stones laid for ''linux.org.tr' the Turkish Linux User Group. After
many years, discussions, fights and seminars and a few incarnations it is now a legal entitiy with a virtual address
There were many tools, applications, procedures available to make different Linuxes Turkish friendly. However,
there was no single distribution that embraced them all. A team decided to make a Distribution with Turkish
support, and the name became to be Turkuaz
The core team consisted out of
- H. Turgut Uyar
- F. Kagan Gurkaynak
- Nurhan Cetin
- Giray Devlet
- Ozgur Annakkaya
- Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
Unfortunatley Turkuaz never made it beyond version 1.x due to the fact that most of the developers,
wen't abroad and/or just didn't have the time. Some other turkish distributions, however, did
After I moved to Amsterdam, I founded the Linux Gnu User Group Amsterdam (LIGA)
I also have moved the company I work for to think more towards Linux and Opensource, and we have now a
Linux Businesses Division headed by me called The Linux Platform.
I have given several seimars on Linux and Opensource over the time. Here are some:
- "Linux: Yesterday, Today ... and beyond" at Linux at Work Amsterdam June 6, 2002
- "Introduction into PHP, Apache & MySQL" at Linux Expo Amsterdam 2001 - Amsterdam
- "Linux Introduction" at OpenSystems '98 TRUUG - Istanbul
- "Turkuaz GNU/Linux Installation" at OpenSystems '98 TRUUG - Istanbul
- "Linux - Today & Tomorrow" at Inet-TR'97 - Middle Eastern Technical University
- "Linux Installation" at Inet-TR'97 METU
- "Linux Administration" at Inet-TR'97 METU
- "Linux Kernel" at Inet-TR'97 METU
- "Linux Installation" at Education Camp (Inet-TR'97) METU
- "Linux - Introduction & Installation" at OpenSystems '97 - TRUUG - Istanbul
- "The Linux Operating System - Introduction" at Inet-TR96 - Yeditepe University
- "DNS & SMTP Setup & Administration" at Inet-TR96 Yeditepe University
- "The Linux Operating System" at Inet-TR95, Bilkent University
also here are some presentations I have given at our LUG:
- "Logical Volume Manager and Journaling File Systems"
- "Linux Security"
- "Dynamic Web Pages"
- "SSH and GPG"
I also regularly give Linux Awareness courses. Furthermore, I have developed
several Linux courses which I give not so regulary :).
- Linux System Administration Course Notes, 1999/2000
- Linux User Level Course Notes, 1999/2000
- TEK - Turkuaz El Kitabi (Turkuaz GNU/Linux Hand Book - Turkish) 1998
- (Linux learns Turkish), Giray Devlet, Bilim Teknik (Feb 98/ Issue 363/pg 15), ISSN 977-1300-3380, TUBITAK
- Solaris 2.x System Administration Course Notes, 1997/98
- UNIX Lab Notes, 1995
- Linux Isletim Sistemi ("The Linux Operating System" - Turkish), 1997
- Genel Linux Tanitimi ("Introducing Linux"- Turkish), 1997
- Internet Nedir? ("What is The Internet?" - Turkish), 1995
- BBSGuide(Giray Devlet, Orkun Pesinci), 1993